TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Pissing fuel
People Seeking Info

Subject Pissing fuel

Posted by lvdisturbed1 on August 28, 2015 at 9:16 AM
  This message has been viewed 435 times.

Message Filled my tank up when it got to 1/4 tank. Drove for a few miles then noticed a fuel smell in the cabin. I Was a few blocks from home so made it then opened the hood and inspected the hoses. No signs of fuel there so checked near the filler and the smell got stonger. Checked the cap, and it seems snug and releases pressure when opened. Peeked underneath in front of the rear driver wheel and saw gas trickling down, enough to start puddling. I immediately turn the car off and look again, and leak is gone. I waited a few minutes and open the gas cap again, there is still a strong pressure so I retighten it. I turn the key in on position to pressurize the rail, and no apparent leak.

If the tank was leaking, wouldn't it have issues keeping pressure? I have a feeling it will start pissing fuel if I start the car, but I don't want to risk it as the leak is significant. If anything, I'll jack the car up and cleanup any fuel and wait for the residual to evaporate away and have someone start it for a few seconds to see if I can pinpoint the location, unless you guys have some suggestions as to where I should start.

Could it be a hose at the top of the pump? Either the sender or return line, or maybe the check valve? I've only dealt with the fuel system past the filter, so I'm always cautious with unfamiliar territory.

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text, it's 7:14 am here and I need to get some sleep (work graveyard). I plan on investigating more when I wake up and I'll check back here first.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.